Do you think that if you took better care of your health you could feel better and increase your productivity? It’s easy to put off healthy living habits, but you don’t have to wait for New Years to start planning a healthier lifestyle. If you feel that you need to make improvements to your lifestyle for your health, you’re not alone. Taking time to reevaluate our lifestyles is part of life!
Although it’s hard to get out of old habits, a healthy lifestyle can give you more energy, improved mental health, and can increase your chances of defeating illnesses.
Here are five steps you can take to managing a healthier lifestyle:
1. Include fruits and vegetables in your diet: Adding fruits and vegetables is a perfect foundation for starting a healthy routine. Vegetables, like leafy greens, and fruits contain plentiful amounts of nutrients such as vitamins and antioxidants that help boost your immune system and fight off disease causing toxins. Antioxidants help fight eye disease, promote healthy skin, and overall health. The World Health Organization recommends eating fruits and veggies as a regular part of your diet so you’ll have a better chance of fighting some cancers, diseases, and heart disease. Make sure to eat five to nine servings of varied veggie and fruits per day.
2. Drink water: You can save money and improve your health by drinking water throughout the day. The natural liquid offers the benefits of hydration, nourishment, and improved well-being. Water can cleanse toxins from the body, improve brain function, energize muscles, control weight gain, and balance body temperature and fluids. It’s recommended to drink about 8 glasses, or 64 ounces, of water per day.
3. Manage your mental health: When it comes to building a healthy lifestyle, it’s easy to concentrate on the physical aspects of health and ignore the mental upkeep. Remember that your mental health is a foundation of your overall health. It’s important to manage and asses your feelings on a day-to-day basis. If you feel negative towards others, you could cause more unhappiness at work, school, or in your social life. Some ways you can improve your mental health include:
Exercise, Socialize with loved ones, Join a club, Sleep 7-9 hours every night
Do something creative
If you continue to feel unhappy or even depressed, consult your physician or talk to a professional about ways you can improve your mental health.
4. Destress: Sometimes it’s beneficial to stop, take a deep breath, and relax. You can help maintain your physical and mental health by decompressing from a long, stressful school or work week. Try some relaxing activities to help you relax. Take advantage of meditation, listening to music, reading, watching a comedy, or exercising. These activities can help you unwind and they cause feelings of happiness and clam.
5. Exercise: The body is truly the temple of the soul, and you don’t want that temple to fall apart! Exercise is a great way to stimulate your health and studies have shown that physical activity helps improve longevity and overall health. Try to exercise up to three times a week. The American Heart Association advises for 150 minutes of exercise each week or an hour at least three times a week. Pick a convenient time schedule out time. You could exercise for 30 minutes the morning to get energized for your day.
Remember to keep your workouts fun. You should enjoy your workout and not feel like it’s a chore. Some fun physical activities include:
Dancing, Yoga, Aerobics, Running, Hiking
These lifestyle tips can help you maintain a healthy and happier habits. The Branford Hall Career Institute hopes our students and graduates take advantage of these tips and share them with others. Sharing health and wellness with others can help build a strong, happy community and fulfilling lives!
Credit: Branford Hall